Saturday, October 31, 2009

Christopher G. Moore

I didn't call this blog "old" books but "odd" books on purpose. Not all the books I want to write about are old. Today's author is a relative newcomer. Authors Brian Moore and Chris Moore are familiar writers, but Christopher G. Moore was new to me when I started at the bookstore. We don't acquire many of his books and over time I learned that every one has to be checked online because the resale price can vary greatly. Even his new books sell for between $19 and $26 in paperback. Some of his older paperbacks start at $74 at Amazon and go higher. He has written many books, and from what I gather most are set in Thailand where he lives; he has an online blog that updates his followers with his daily movements. What is his appeal? His book jackets label him an "expat" writer and contain praise from such as Gore Vidal. We have a very small group of Moore's readers here, which surprises me as Hawaii has many ties with Thailand including a large Thai population. I'd love to hear from Moore's readers with recommendations on his books and explanations of just what it is that makes him so special.

3 comments:

  1. There is a thin line between reality and the fiction of Christopher G. Moore. Readers learn from his deep understanding of what lies underneath the veneer of modern Thai civilization when it rolls up and exposes the warlords and tyrants beneath. Timely stories, well developed characters, intricate plots, and a timeless insight into the human condition are the mainstay of any of Christopher G Moore's works. There are a lot of writers out there writing about danger. Few in real life are juggling burning cats on as high a wire without a net as author Moore. Although most recognized for his long running Bangkok detective Vincent Calvino series(12 books)there are a lot of other titles out there. If Christopher G. Moore wrote it its worth a read.

    Tito Haggardt
    Ocean View, HI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Based on your comments, I'll give Mr. Moore a read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first read Moore in 1999 when I was in Bangkok having some dental work done.It was my first visit to Bkk and I was a little unbalanced with the experience.Then I stumbled on Moores' "Smile" trilogy and suddenly my enviorment was a lot more understandable.As I passed through Thailand every year since I have read all of his books and eagerly await his new ones.
    What makes him so special is his understanding of his space.His being totaly fluent in Thai is a huge help.He's lived there for almost 20 years.
    I admit to a bias in that I sought him out, met him and and found him to be a delightfull person.
    Reading Moore is almost like being there in S.E.Asia.
    Terry
    Honaunau

    ReplyDelete